Search This Blog

15/06/2016

I am a Mermaid!

 I have completed something very special….my very own mermaid tail blanket!


Ta-da! It matches the couch! 



This project has been all the emotions for me. After my Dad had his stroke in January & everything business related had to be put on hold my best friend/wife Chelle gifted me a pack from Black Sheep Wools.

This is a well read pattern & Tulip has eaten a bit of it!



The whole idea was that I needed me time. Drifting from work to hospital or home to support my parents to the hours spent in the phone on updates regarding progress, tests, hospital or home appointments I needed a craft project that was repetitive, simple-ish & rewarding to wind myself down. It was perfect!



Well it's not perfect, it's riddled with mistakes that my mind could not cope with fixing. After all it was only for me in my home, who else cares?!

mistake rows


I can tell you the tales behind each mistake too; being tired from not sleeping properly due to the stress of moving house, financial changes & nearly loosing my job. It took me longer to complete than it should have too; days when I couldn't face more than just crashing out in front of the TV but that's life & we are not superheroes!

The joy of the project is that it was finished 2 weeks ago, 2 days before my Dad returned to work. We are at a point now where the stress of the first 5 months are gone & we as a family have readjusted. I'm very lucky to have such a strong support group.



Sadly the mermaid tail was finished just as the weather got really hot so not much need for it at the minute! I'm sure it’ll see plenty of use this winter though. Through all the hearts of drama llamas of 2016 I managed to take half a dozen balls of wool, time & energy & create something beautiful & practical. Most importantly though I saw it through to the end, even if I did need that one extra ball!


Chelle's pups approve!

All that glistens is not gold

Chelle also made one for herself in shades of blues to match her hair! What's better though than being a ginger mermaid?!

Sparkly!


No comments:

Post a Comment