Search This Blog

29/09/2014

Prevent Craft Based Injuries!

Everyone seemed to enjoy the benefits of knitting article I posted on the social media sites (Facebook & Twitter) but I want to discuss the flip side to it, the injuries it can cause. An I'm not reffering to the pointy end of a knitting needle.....

The holiday season is upon us crafter's!



This means late night knitting and crocheting and panic making things whilst trying to multi-task everything else!

Now I suffer from pains in my neck, shoulder, elbow, wrist, fingers, pins-and-needles and numbness. All craft related. I'm only 25, my crafty career is not going to last the year if I don't start looking after my tools properly!




Working a lot can put terrible strain on our joints, (I learnt how to knit as a result of my Nan no longer being able to due to her arthritis) and after having such a busy commission week I am in agony, so taking care of yourself during the biggest crafting season is very important!

Beware of RSI

Below are some links that should help prevent injury because you have to ask yourself this; if you couldn't craft, what else would you do?

Knitting Yoga & Exercises 

Knitting for charity pain free


Hand exercises help
Shoulder & neck pain are common
Knitters Advice 

Knitting Based RSI Prevention

How to prevent injury whilst crocheting

My personal favourite for crochet advise is this Pinterest board I follow - CROCHET.without.injury 

Take care of yourself! I'm off on my holidays till Saturday and I have banned myself from crafting to allow my aches and pains to heal....I'll have twitching fingers by Wednesday.

Do you have any advice that you swear by?

No comments:

Post a Comment