Search This Blog

28/04/2015

Why you should learn to knit NOW!

On Saturday I taught a wonderful workshop at The Rare Bear Boutique just off Allerton Road in Liverpool. On my social media pages I had been joking, using the popular Game of Thrones phrase, "Winter is coming.." so learn to knit but actually I'm not wrong!

I've already discussed the mental health aspects of knitting but time is a big factor too!

At yesterdays craft meet, a lady who had been on one of my workshops came for help on a project she was finishing off. She is still learning & commented that a) we make it look easy & b) that she will never be making jumpers for her little one this winter without a lot of practise...
Knitting - huge scope for imagination
Vintage inspired
Lace headbands of mine in progress!


Its true, knitting does take practise, an so many people asked me about classes last winter since the weather had gone cold & they wanted to make items for themselves. The truth is though, if you want to be making yourself beautiful autumn cardigans or big winter jumpers then the time to start practising is now!

Jumpers take a lot longer to make than people realise (if I had a £ for every time I heard "oh, make me a jumper!' as if its gonna take me a few day....), they can take a good few weeks & thats if you are working on it most days.

Vintage Christmas Jumper by Susan Crawford
Knitters tend to work a season in advance, as sad as it is to say, I will be starting to think about Christmas in the next few months! I'm already wearing my lovely lace spring knits now but if I wanted a jumper for Christmas, I'd start it no later than September/October.




So if you would love to be all wrapped up in handmade wonders this winter the time to learn is now, plus you have the summer to enjoy knitting outdoors making gorgeous little things for yourself as "practise".

This is just the best picture!

Just gorgeous! 
I only have 2 more dates left for workshops before my break for summer, this Saturday at Knit Wise in Ormskirk & 17th May at The Rare Bear Boutique!

I will have new workshop dates from September!





No comments:

Post a Comment